April Reading Ladder

1) After By Anna Todd 

I learned about this book after I watched the movie. Now most of the times books are better than their film adaptations, this is not one of them. Hero Fiennes made the movie bearable but the book was terrible. It was so bad that even I couldn’t finish it and gave up around page 174 and I by some miracle managed to read the entire Sweet Evil series. The writing was subpar, the dialogue was monotone and dull, the character Tessa made me want to bang my head repeatedly and Hardin was every moody, mean, troubled by the past bad boy ever. I would recommend the movie if you want to see a chick flick with good looking actors but please, please, please don’t read the book you will lose brain cells. I give this book a 1/5.

2) ONE OF US IS LYING By Karen M.McManus

Ever since we were ordered to be in quarantine I have been reading an unhealthy amounts of crime novels. This is one of the tamer versions. The book follows the life of four teens who are under scrutiny after a detention leads to the death of a class mate. The book keeps the reader guessing till the final page. The book is told in four perspectives, the author does a great job of breaking stereotypes and makings the  characters three demential and relatable. The writing was smooth and well written and the plot was well crafted and original. I would give this book a 4/5.

3) Romanov by Nadine Brandes

Romanov is a magical retelling of the Romanov family during the Russian revolution.  The story is narrated by Anastasia Romanov the infamous Russian princess. I found the plot well written and original, the characters were likeable and layered. Anastasia was a strong and willing to fight to save her family while simultaneously being sweet and kind. Zash was my favourite, he was a confused boy stuck between protecting his family or his loyalty to Anastasia and most importantly protecting himself . So if your a history geek who also enjoys fiction I would recommend you this book. I would give Romanov a 3.8 out of 5.